Skip to content
Adopted Son in Law of King Atlas, Jr.
- Born December 3, 1879 in Lake Providence, East Carroll Parish, LA
- Died January 24, 1957 in Lake Providence, East Carroll Parish, LA.
Former Slaveowner and Slaveowner Locations
- Parents were found living at Hood Home Plantation after the Civil War, which was owned by Govy Hood. Mother’s maiden name may lead to her owner being Oliver Morgan who had business dealings with Hood.
- Paternal Grandparents: Reuben Russell and Fannie (Morgan) Russell
- Maternal Grandparent: LaVinia “Viney” (?) Van Dyke
- Parents: Jerry Russell and Angeline (Van Dyke) Russell
- Siblings: Isaac Russell, Shelly Russell, William Russell, Sarah Russell
- Marriages/Relationships: Nancy Ruth (Marshall) Russell
- Death certificates obtained at Louisiana State Archives, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge, LA
- Civil War Pension File obtained from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) Washington, DC; US Civil War Veterans Pension Files, Case #1066,472, Lewis Carson
- Obituaries obtained through Google News Archive, Los Angeles Sentinel via ProQuest Historical Black Newspapers, family members, Legacy.Com, and the following on Ancestry.Com: Historical Newspapers, Birth, Marriage, and Death Announcements, 1851-2003, Obituary Collection
- US Census Records via Ancestry.Com
- Photos courtesy of Atlas family members
- Marriage certificate obtained at the East Carroll Parish, LA Clerk of Court, Lake Providence, LA